Carbon News
  • Members
    • Login
      Forgot Password?
    • Not a member? Subscribe
    • Forgot Password
      Back to Login
    • Not a member? Subscribe
  • Home
  • New Zealand
    • Politics
    • Energy
    • Agriculture
    • Carbon emissions
    • Transport
    • Forestry
    • Business
  • Markets
    • Analysis
    • NZ carbon price
  • International
    • Australia
    • United States
    • China
    • Europe
    • United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • Asia
    • Pacific
    • Antarctic/Arctic
    • Africa
    • South America
    • United Nations
  • News Direct
    • Media releases
    • Climate calendar
  • About Carbon News
    • Contact us
    • Advertising
    • Subscribe
    • Service
    • Policies

Auckland Council toughens up on building in flood risk areas

5 Nov 2025

Auckland Council
Image: Auckland Council

Media release: Auckland Council | From Monday 3 November 2025, stronger planning rules take effect in Auckland to better protect people and property from natural hazards. 


The change is part of Auckland Council’s Plan Change 120 – a proposed update to the region’s planning rulebook, that focuses more housing near public transport hubs, jobs, services and town centres, while strengthening rules where there are hazards like flooding and landslides, to help build more resilient neighbourhoods.  


Megan Tyler, director of policy, planning and governance at Auckland Council, says Plan Change 120 allows Auckland to take a stronger step forward so future development can better handle increasingly severe weather.   


“Development in flood-risk areas is a challenge we’ve been working to overcome since the floods of 2023.  


“Along with Auckland’s communities, the council has carried out a great deal of advocacy to get tighter rules, and Plan Change 120 allows us to bring these in quickly, to better protect communities as soon as possible,” she says.  


Under the Resource Management Act, any rules relating to natural hazards must take effect as soon as a plan change is notified.  


Through this change, stricter checks and higher standards for building, developing or renovating will be required in hazard-risk areas.


Resource consent applications will face tougher risk assessments, and you’ll need clear evidence that your build can withstand the impacts of more extreme weather.  


Development potential is proposed to be scaled back in the worst-affected areas to better protect people and property.


John Duguid, Auckland Council’s general manager of planning and resource consents, says under the proposed changes, any development in a hazard area must go through a stricter risk assessment than previously. 


“Locations across Auckland can be affected by flooding, coastal erosion and other hazards – particularly in valleys, and around the coast. 

“The stronger hazard rules will apply regardless of whether the zone allows apartments, terraced houses, high rise buildings or single homes,” he says.  


From 3 November 2025, Plan Change 120 will see: 

  • ‘non-complying’ activity status used to assess consents for development in high-risk areas, giving the council the strongest ability to determine whether development can go ahead.   
  • tighter risk assessments for development in locations impacted by natural hazards in any zone, raising the bar that must be met for an activity to be approved.  
  • ‘downzoning’ to single house zone in the worst-affected areas, such as parts of Henderson, Milford and Māngere, to limit density and exposure.
  • updated mapping so Aucklanders have an up-to-date view of the natural hazards that could impact their area.
  • natural systems protected so floodplains and overland flow paths are protected from being built over. 


While these changes apply from 3 November 2025, they may be updated following the public submissions process. 


What does this mean for me?  

You can use the Plan Change 120 map viewer to see what the changes mean for your home. You can learn more about this at akhaveyoursay.nz.


You can already use the ‘natural hazards’ theme in the council’s Geomaps page to see how different natural hazards could impact your area. 


If you have a resource consent application lodged with the council before 3 November 2025, its activity status will remain the same as when it was lodged. However, those resource consent applications will be evaluated against the operative Auckland Unitary Plan and the relevant provisions of Plan Change 120 including the natural hazard provisions.  


Time to have your say 

Stronger hazard rules apply from Monday 3 November 2025, when Plan Change 120 is notified. However, they are subject to change following the public submission process.  


You can have your say on these rules, and all proposals under Plan Change 120.  


Visit akhaveyoursay.nz to learn more.  



print this story


Related Topics:   Extreme weather

More >
Media releases
More >
Climate Change and Energy Minister Simon Watts

IEA Declaration strengthens international co-operation on critical minerals

Fri 20 Feb 2026

Media release – NZ Government | New Zealand has joined international leaders at the 2026 International Energy Agency Ministerial meeting in committing to strengthen global co-operation on critical minerals to strengthen long‑term energy security.

Signing of MoU. SPREP Director General Sefanaia Nawadra (left) with Professor Jemaima Tiatia-Siau and Professor JR Rowland in Apia

Partnership to advance Pacific science and environmental leadership

Thu 19 Feb 2026

Media release | Waipapa Taumata Rau, University of Auckland, and the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme  have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to strengthen collaboration in Pacific-led science, research and capacity-building, with a strong focus on environmental sustainability and ocean stewardship.

78% of NZers want bottom trawling banned as Govt pushes to catch more coral in South Pacific

Tue 17 Feb 2026

Media release | New polling shows overwhelming support from New Zealanders for a ban on bottom trawling in the South Pacific high seas, says Greenpeace.

Transformational gift to support natural environmental research at Victoria University

Tue 17 Feb 2026

Media release | Te Wāhanga a Manaia – Faculty of Science and Engineering at Victoria University is celebrating a remarkable $5 million gift from the George Mason Charitable Trust to support multidisciplinary research into the natural environment.

Ambassador Odo Tevi, Permanent Representative of Vanuatu to the United Nations.

Vanuatu introduces draft UN resolution on ICJ demanding full climate compensation

11 Feb 2026

Media release: Vanuatu Government | Vanuatu has introduced the zero draft of a United Nations General Assembly resolution to endorse the International Court of Justice’s advisory opinion on the obligations of states in respect of climate change, delivered on 23 July 2025.

World fight against invasive species comes to Auckland

10 Feb 2026

Media release: University of Auckland | From countering invasive pink salmon in Norway to controlling feral cats in the Cayman Islands, knowledge on eradicating invasive species will be shared by international experts in New Zealand.

A turning point for our ocean: why the High Seas Treaty matters for the Pacific

10 Feb 2026

Media release: UNDP | The global ratification of the Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction (BBNJ) Treaty marks a decisive moment in international cooperation and ocean governance. Referred to as the High Seas Treaty, the agreement establishes a legally binding framework to protect marine biodiversity in areas of the ocean that lie beyond national jurisdiction.

Technology Minister Dr Shane Reti (centre)

NZ-UAE partnership boosts advanced tech

9 Feb 2026

Media release | A new Antarctic science partnership with a leading UAE university will grow New Zealand’s advanced engineering and modelling capability, supporting high-value jobs, encouraging economic growth, and enabling smarter climate risk management, Science, Innovation and Technology Minister Dr Shane Reti says.

Greenpeace warns of NZ bowing to US mining bullying

5 Feb 2026

Media release | News that the New Zealand government is in talks with the Trump administration on a critical minerals deal is drawing fierce criticism from Greenpeace Aotearoa, who warn of unchecked environmental destruction, Te Tiriti violations, and Aotearoa becoming a pawn in the US’s quest for further geopolitical control.

Dr Lea Dasallas, Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury

Fast-moving floodwater poses hidden danger for cities

3 Feb 2026

Media release: University of Canterbury | Floodwater doesn’t have to be deep to be dangerous — sometimes it just has to be moving.

Carbon News

Subscriptions, Advertising & General

[email protected]

Editorial

[email protected]

We welcome comments, news tips and suggestions - please also use this address to submit all media releases for News Direct).

Useful Links
Home About Carbon News Contact us Advertising Subscribe Service Policies
New Zealand
Politics Energy Agriculture Carbon emissions Transport Forestry Business
International
Australia United States China Europe United Kingdom Canada Asia Pacific Antarctic/Arctic Africa South America United Nations
Home
Markets
Analysis NZ carbon price
News Direct
Media releases Climate calendar

© 2008-2026 Carbon News. All Rights Reserved. • Your IP Address: 216.73.216.33 • User account: Sign In

Please wait...
Audit log: