Carbon News
  • Members
    • Login
      Forgot Password?
    • Not a member? Subscribe
    • Forgot Password
      Back to Login
    • Not a member? Subscribe
  • Home
  • New Zealand
    • Politics
    • Energy
    • Agriculture
    • Carbon emissions
    • Transport
    • Forestry
    • Business
  • Markets
    • Analysis
    • NZ carbon price
  • International
    • Australia
    • United States
    • China
    • Europe
    • United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • Asia
    • Pacific
    • Antarctic/Arctic
    • Africa
    • South America
    • United Nations
  • News Direct
    • Media releases
    • Climate calendar
  • About Carbon News
    • Contact us
    • Advertising
    • Subscribe
    • Service
    • Policies

Gisborne $29.7m recovery funding bid awaits Government decision

27 Mar 2026

Emergency Management and Recovery Associate Minister Chris Penk
Image: Annaleise Shortland
Emergency Management and Recovery Associate Minister Chris Penk

By Zita Campbell, Local Democracy Reporter

Gisborne leaders are awaiting the Government’s response to a $29.7 million funding bid for a joint agency/iwi-led recovery plan after January’s severe weather event.

The severe rain devastated northern parts of the East Coast, with the aftermath likened to “a war zone”.


Regional leaders sent a funding bid to Emergency Management and Recovery Associate Minister Chris Penk on February 26.


Gisborne Mayor Rehette Stoltz told Local Democracy Reporting they were grateful to have received the Government’s contribution so far, which included donations to the Mayoral Relief Fund and reallocation for woody debris clean-up.


“This has directly supported initial relief to whānau whose homes were impacted by the weather event and efforts towards clean-up in the communities.”


However, more funding support was essential to enable these communities to recover, Stoltz said.


Penk said the Government had not yet decided on the funding request, but it was being “carefully” considered.


Stoltz said the council would continue its work to draw on resources and co-ordinate with public sector and government agencies to support the needs of families and restore infrastructure.


The letter was co-signed by representatives from Te Runanganui O Ngāti Porou (Tronp), the council and the region’s economic development and tourism agency, Trust Tairāwhiti.


It stated the region needed support to contribute to outcomes identified in the national infrastructure plan.


“Resilient infrastructure supports wellbeing, drives productivity and economic growth, and helps achieve broader social and environmental goals,” the letter reads.


According to the joint agency/iwi-led recovery model sent to Penk, the funding bid covers $8.1m for community wellbeing, $13.5m for environmental resilience, $6.2m for the primary sector – land management, and $1.9m for economic growth.


The governance would require commitment by key partner agencies, the council, Trust Tairāwhiti and Tronp.


According to the letter, when the minister visited the region on February 16, he had heard about what each group was working through after the severe weather event in Pōtaka, Wharekahika, Te Araroa, Horoera, Awatere and Rangitūkia on January 23.


The event impacted the “heart of Ngāti Porou communities”, the letter reads.


The Tronp relationship accord was considered “a key component to support the affected hapū, marae, and landowners in their recovery”.

Without support for environmental resilience, “our rivers will continue to flood and cause irreparable damage to communities and whenua Māori”.


The affected areas were remote and Māori community-based, with the per-unit cost of recovery materially higher because of travel time, a shortage of trades, freight premiums and limited ability to use insurer-appointed contractors.


“Without targeted intervention, a short-term weather event becomes long-term economic scarring through avoidable business closures, employment loss and reduced primary production continuity,” the letter reads.


It also stated 30,000ha of Māori land with an annual economic return of $10m risked becoming “uneconomic” with further compounding access challenges already affecting East Cape.


According to a council document, the wellbeing component would cover iwi/hapū-led recovery personnel, navigation support, community-led or marae-led response and recovery planning, and temporary housing/future housing.


For environmental resilience, the bid included the de-risking of rivers, river management, landslide investigation and management, waste, debris, sediment and silt control, and roading (local and state highways).


The report said that through dedicated community leads, work was underway to strengthen community-led recovery approaches. These aligned with the response and recovery leadership framework, which promotes community leadership supported by agencies and partners.


“All organisations involved are working collaboratively while remaining mindful of each other’s capability and capacity to ensure a co-ordinated approach.”


LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.


print this story


Related Topics:   Extreme weather

More >
New Zealand
More >

Biomass sector asks: where did the love go?

Today 12:00pm

By Pattrick Smellie | New Zealand has sufficient biomass in its plantation forests to replace natural gas for industrial process heat at lower costs than electrification, but is failing to get the attention it deserves, sector leaders say.

Urgent need to rethink tourism says expert

Today 12:00pm

By Shannon Morris-Williams | The post-pandemic recovery has created an urgent need to rethink how tourism operates, who benefits from it, and how it impacts the social and environmental systems it depends on, according to new research.

Andrew Eagles, NZGBC chief executive (centre) launched the manifesto last week

Green building council calls for clean energy policies

Today 12:00pm

The New Zealand Green Building Council has released its 2026 election manifesto calling for policies to reduce energy waste in buildings, lower household and business energy costs, and improve New Zealand’s energy security.

Future big droughts may be worse than we think – NZ’s past shows why

Today 12:00pm

By Adam Brown, University of Waikato; Dave Frame, University of Canterbury, and Luke Harrington, University of Waikato | For an agricultural nation like New Zealand, severe drought is one of the most ominous consequences of a warming planet.

China widens its clean energy lead

Today 12:00pm

Chinese companies account for more than half of global investments in clean energy manufacturing since 2019, while new U.S. investments declined last year.

Labour climate spokesperson Deborah Russell with Fonterra group director, global external affairs, Simon Tucker, Fonterra director of sustainability Charlotte Rutherford, and Fonterra director Alison Watters.

Labour condemns Govt plan to stop climate litigation

Fri 15 May 2026

By Liz Kivi | The Labour Party has slammed the Government’s move to block climate lawsuits against big emitters but won’t say if they would repeal the legislation if elected in November.

Mercury eyes $1b geothermal expansion near Taupō

Fri 15 May 2026

Mercury is planning the next phase of its geothermal expansion near Taupō, with two proposed projects carrying a potential investment of up to $1 billion and enough new renewable generation to power an additional 125,000 homes.

Why ‘greenhushing’ signals deeper issues with NZ’s climate risk reporting regime

Fri 15 May 2026

By Hang Pham, Te Herenga Waka — Victoria University of Wellington | Most of us are familiar with the concept of greenwashing: organisations exaggerating or overstating their environmental credentials. But in New Zealand, there are signs the country’s climate disclosure regime may inadvertently be driving a very different trend: not saying much at all.

Media round-up

Fri 15 May 2026

In our round-up of climate coverage in local media: The government's move to change climate law removes a key protection for NZ citizens, farmers should be paid to use methane-busting tools, and it's one step forward, three steps back on environment policy.

Move to block lawsuits could strengthen climate case against Govt

Thu 14 May 2026

By Liz Kivi | The Government’s plan to block climate lawsuits – while potentially fatal for one groundbreaking climate case – could actually bolster claims in another live climate case underway against the Government.

Carbon News

Subscriptions, Advertising & General

[email protected]

Editorial

[email protected]

We welcome comments, news tips and suggestions - please also use this address to submit all media releases for News Direct).

Useful Links
Home About Carbon News Contact us Advertising Subscribe Service Policies
New Zealand
Politics Energy Agriculture Carbon emissions Transport Forestry Business
International
Australia United States China Europe United Kingdom Canada Asia Pacific Antarctic/Arctic Africa South America United Nations
Home
Markets
Analysis NZ carbon price
News Direct
Media releases Climate calendar

© 2008-2026 Carbon News. All Rights Reserved. • Your IP Address: 216.73.216.203 • User account: Sign In

Please wait...
Audit log: