Carbon News
  • Members
    • Login
      Forgot Password?
    • Not a member? Subscribe
    • Forgot Password
      Back to Login
    • Not a member? Subscribe
  • Home
  • New Zealand
    • Politics
    • Energy
    • Agriculture
    • Carbon emissions
    • Transport
    • Forestry
    • Business
  • Markets
    • Analysis
    • NZ carbon price
  • International
    • Australia
    • United States
    • China
    • Europe
    • United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • Asia
    • Pacific
    • Antarctic/Arctic
    • Africa
    • South America
    • United Nations
  • News Direct
    • Media releases
    • Climate calendar
  • About Carbon News
    • Contact us
    • Advertising
    • Subscribe
    • Service
    • Policies

Minister proud of potshots in seabed mine ‘culture war’

21 Jul 2025

Shane Jones says Supreme Court judges and elected councillors were scared by "belligerent, well-organised" seabed mining opponents.
Image: Te Reo o Taranaki
Shane Jones says Supreme Court judges and elected councillors were scared by "belligerent, well-organised" seabed mining opponents.

By Craig Ashworth, Local Democracy Reporter

The oceans and fisheries minister says Supreme Court judges and local body politicians have been cowed by fear in a culture war over seabed mining.

Minister Shane Jones was in New Plymouth on Friday to deliver a stump speech for New Zealand First.


Afterwards he said confrontation and fear had led to court rulings that blocked would-be seabed miners, and votes by local councils against the mine.


“The Supreme Court, when it got involved, it was confronted with a highly charged atmosphere which is still prevailing, which is what's driving fear in your local government to stand up against this belligerent, well-organised, rowdy bunch of activists,” said Jones.


“I think these natural resource debates have turned into a culture war.”


Jones freely admitted taking shots from one side of the battle lines – including calling South Taranaki mana whenua “pixie-like hapūs”.


“I am never, ever going to take a backward step to the well-drilled, highly-orchestrated, Greenpeace-orientated campaigners who probably operate out of the local iwi office anyway, such is the level of cross-contamination.”


Opponents have fought the proposal to mine the seabed off Pātea since before the first official application in 2013, winning in the High Court, Court of Appeal and finally the Supreme Court in 2021.


Spearheaded by Ngāti Ruanui, opposition spread to neighbouring Ngaa Rauru Kiitahi and hapū of Ngāruahine.


In the Supreme Court tribes were joined by the Taranaki-Whanganui Conservation Board, the government’s Environmental Protection Authority, Kiwis Against Seabed Mining, Greenpeace and Forest & Bird.


Also party to the court challenge were Fisheries Inshore New Zealand, the New Zealand Federation of Commercial Fishermen, Southern Inshore Fisheries, Talley’s Group, Cloudy Bay Clams and Te Ohu Kaimoana.


Jones himself chaired Te Ohu Kaimoana before entering Parliament, controversially continuing to earn an annual fee of $70,000 as a director despite being an MP.


Taranaki’s eight Crown-mandated iwi agencies have collectively declared against the mine.


District councils of South Taranaki, Whanganui and New Plymouth voted to oppose seabed mining after hearing from the miners and from community opponents.


Jones claimed “an enormous amount of brouhaha driven by misinformation” and couldn’t think why councillors would stand against the mine – except out of fear as local elections loom.


As during his last Taranaki visit, the Minister of Oceans and Fisheries, of Resources and of Regional Development demonstrated a loose grip on details – in spite of his repeated vocal support for the mine.


He told his party's public meeting seabed mining was like dredging Port Taranaki – an argument made last month by New Plymouth councillor and former NZ First candidate Murray Chong, who was in the audience.


“Where do you put all the dredgings?” asked Jones.


“I'll tell you where you put them: You put them back into the host environment otherwise known as the coastline of Taranaki.”


Over the past four years some three million tonnes of blacksand dredgings from Port Taranaki have been dumped in two approved zones near the shoreline, to keep the harbour clear and restore sand drift to New Plymouth beaches reduced by the port’s breakwaters.


The ongoing port dredging is less than two percent of the proposed seabed mine's waste: every four years Trans-Tasman Resources would discharge 180 million tonnes of seabed sediment – a recognised pollutant – into the abundant waters of the Pātea Shoals.


Trans-Tasman’s mining ship would take just 18 days to match four years of port dredging, and continue to do so for at least 20 years at the boundary of the 12-mile territorial limit.


The subsidiary of Australian company Manuka Resources wants Fast-track approval to suck up 50 million tonnes of blacksand annually to extract iron, titanium and vanadium and then dump 45 million tonnes back into the marine environment.


More mining ships are likely if the application sets a Fast-track precedent, with a second bid by Trans-Tasman’s former chief financial officer on hold pending the results.


Jones challenged the half-dozen journalists probing him about the mine.


“Don't you find this debate amongst yourselves tiresome?" he asked.


“I mean, haven't you got anything to talk about beyond this?”


LDR is local body reporting co-funded by RNZ and NZ on Air


print this story


Related Topics:   Mining Politics

More >
New Zealand
More >
WWF-New Zealand chief executive Kayla Kingdon-Bebb

Environmental groups call for ETS reform

Fri 20 Feb 2026

Several environmental organisations are calling on political parties to make climate and biodiversity central to the 2026 election campaign, with reforming the Emissions Trading Scheme seen as a key priority.

Green Party Environment spokesperson Lam Pham

Greens slam move to disband Environment Ministry

Fri 20 Feb 2026

The Green Party has joined climate and health advocates in condemning the Government's decision to disestablish the Ministry for the Environment as part of a multi-ministry merger.

Seabed miners quit South Taranaki fast-track bid

Fri 20 Feb 2026

By Craig Ashworth, Local Democracy Reporter | Would-be seabed miners have abandoned their fast-track bid to mine in South Taranaki waters, saying they can’t change the minds of the panel that rejected their application.

Media round-up

Fri 20 Feb 2026

In our round-up of climate coverage in local media: 'Every tonne matters': The climate scientist who wants to give you hope; Minister says managed retreat is an option; and climate change is here – is New Zealand ready?

Govt’s own modelling shows LNG leads to higher electricity prices than other solutions

Thu 19 Feb 2026

By Christina Hood | COMMENT: According to modelling conducted by Concept Consulting for MBIE, either developing the Tariki gas storage facility or managing electricity demand would deliver lower wholesale electricity prices than the Government’s preferred solution of an LNG import terminal.

New climate ambassador appointed amid mounting scrutiny of Govt policy

Thu 19 Feb 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | The Climate Change Minister has appointed senior diplomat Stuart Calman as New Zealand’s new Climate Change Ambassador, as the Government's climate agenda faces growing criticism from environmental groups, renewable energy advocates and policy experts.

Slash for cash turns storm debris into jobs and climate resilience

Thu 19 Feb 2026

A community-led initiative in Tairāwhiti is transforming storm-damaged forestry slash into jobs, soil regeneration and long-term climate resilience.

Sustainable retail-office project breaks ground under new Green Star framework

Thu 19 Feb 2026

Construction is set to begin on a new retail-office development in central Auckland, which is targeting a 40% reduction in embodied carbon and 25% lower energy.

Renewables could meet energy gap without LNG imports: report

Wed 18 Feb 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | Importing liquefied natural gas to support electricity supply could lock households and businesses into higher energy costs for decades, while cheaper and more secure alternatives are already available, according to a new report from the New Zealand Green Building Council.

Motueka River

New study looks to nature markets to accelerate climate response

Wed 18 Feb 2026

The Nature Conservancy is teaming up with local groups to study the most affordable and effective ways of restoring native habitats at the top of the South Island, including ways to fund the work using international voluntary carbon markets and biodiversity credits.

Carbon News

Subscriptions, Advertising & General

[email protected]

Editorial

[email protected]

We welcome comments, news tips and suggestions - please also use this address to submit all media releases for News Direct).

Useful Links
Home About Carbon News Contact us Advertising Subscribe Service Policies
New Zealand
Politics Energy Agriculture Carbon emissions Transport Forestry Business
International
Australia United States China Europe United Kingdom Canada Asia Pacific Antarctic/Arctic Africa South America United Nations
Home
Markets
Analysis NZ carbon price
News Direct
Media releases Climate calendar

© 2008-2026 Carbon News. All Rights Reserved. • Your IP Address: 216.73.216.33 • User account: Sign In

Please wait...
Audit log: