Carbon News
  • Members
    • Login
      Forgot Password?
    • Not a member? Subscribe
    • Forgot Password
      Back to Login
    • Not a member? Subscribe
  • Home
  • New Zealand
    • Politics
    • Energy
    • Agriculture
    • Carbon emissions
    • Transport
    • Forestry
    • Business
  • Markets
    • Analysis
    • NZ carbon price
  • International
    • Australia
    • United States
    • China
    • Europe
    • United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • Asia
    • Pacific
    • Antarctic/Arctic
    • Africa
    • South America
    • United Nations
  • News Direct
    • Media releases
    • Climate calendar
  • About Carbon News
    • Contact us
    • Advertising
    • Subscribe
    • Service
    • Policies

Auckland Council raises flood mitigation limit to avoid costly buyouts

5 Feb 2026

Finn Blackwell, RNZ
Image: Finn Blackwell, RNZ

By Taelegalolo'u Mary Afemata, Local Democracy Reporter

As Auckland Council’s storm recovery programme moves into its final phase, councillors have agreed to lift the cap on flood mitigation spending per household in a bid to avoid more expensive property buyouts.

At Tuesday’s governing body meeting, councillors approved changes to the Category 2P Property Risk Mitigation Scheme, increasing the maximum grant from 25 per cent to 40 per cent of a property’s pre-storm capital value where mitigation is considered the best practicable way to reduce risk to life.


The motion was moved by Deputy Mayor Desley Simpson and seconded by Councillor Andy Baker.


Council staff advised the change was needed to prevent more properties from being pushed into Category 3 voluntary buyouts, which would significantly increase costs for ratepayers.


Estimates showed keeping the 25 per cent cap could cost up to $14 million, compared with about $1.2m under the revised approach.


“One option has a $14 million price tag and the other is about $1.2 million,” Simpson said, referring to figures provided by council staff.


Tanya Stocks, Auckland Council’s Head of Strategy and Integration in the Group Recovery Office, said the figures reflected the net cost difference between buying out properties and funding mitigation.


“We’ve looked at the estimated cost of having to purchase properties under the Category 3 buyout scheme and netted off what the impact would have been if we’d had to adopt the 2P scheme.”


The Category 2P scheme applies to properties where flood or land instability risks can be mitigated rather than requiring full buyouts. It was introduced after the 2023 storms to allow people to remain in their homes while reducing intolerable risk to life.


Mace Ward, the council’s Group Recovery Manager, told councillors the overall recovery programme is now more than 90 per cent complete. About half of the Category 2P mitigation projects have been delivered with the remainder well advanced.

“We didn’t know as much in November 2023 as we know now,” Ward said.


Updated feasibility assessments show some remaining projects would exceed the original 25 per cent cap, even though mitigation remains achievable and cheaper than buyouts.


“At this point, 13 further projects are expected to land somewhere between 25 and 40 per cent,” Ward said. He said the approach had delivered a net public benefit of more than $12m.


Concerns were raised about fairness for homeowners assessed earlier under stricter rules. Councillor Ken Turner questioned whether council was “changing the goalposts” late in the process and how many property owners might have benefited had the revised settings applied earlier.


Stocks said four property owners had already agreed to cover costs above the original cap, totalling $58,000, while a further nine properties had shifted from Category 2P to Category 3 after mitigation costs exceeded the threshold.


Simpson said the change was about reaching a cost-effective conclusion while staying true to the scheme’s original intent.


Councillor Shane Henderson raised concerns about the use of staff discretion under the revised scheme, with those concerns addressed later by council officers.


Councillor Alf Filipaina raised concerns about the ongoing stress and anxiety faced by homeowners still navigating the recovery process.

“These storms we’ve had in the past 10 days would likely have been really triggering for communities and for individuals, so we’re very sensitive to that,” Ward said.


Under the revised settings, council will have sole discretion over whether mitigation funding can rise to 40 per cent.


Henderson also asked how council would respond where homeowners preferred buyouts. Ward said staff would continue working with affected residents but stressed mitigation remained the scheme’s primary objective where feasible.


The Storm Recovery Office is expected to close later this year, with the Category 3 buyout scheme targeted to finish by May, and the Category 2P programme running through to December 2026.


More than 500 homes have already been removed under the buyout programme, with more than 170 currently under contract.

Mayor Wayne Brown said the expanded mitigation approach was unlikely to be repeated.


“We’re not the insurer of last resort,” he said. “This will be the last of these that ever happens, I’m sure, in New Zealand.”


Councillors also agreed to reinstate the Storm Recovery Political Advisory Group to provide political oversight and guidance as the recovery programme moves toward closure.


LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

print this story


Related Topics:   Extreme weather Policy development

More >
New Zealand
More >
United Nations HQ

Govt had ‘little choice’ in signing key UN climate resolution – expert

Fri 22 May 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | Climate policy expert Bronwyn Hayward said it was “shameful’ New Zealand didn’t throw more active support behind a pivotal climate resolution ratified by the United Nations this week.

NZ at risk of falling behind on EV transition

Fri 22 May 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | An EV lobby group is warning that New Zealand is at a crossroads on transport electrification, with inconsistent policy settings and lagging charging infrastructure slowing uptake, while global adoption accelerates and fuel price shocks renew interest in electric vehicles.

New DOC chief appointed as public sector cuts loom

Fri 22 May 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | Peter Chrisp has been appointed the new Director-General of Conservation, just as the Department of Conservation again finds itself in the firing line of the Government’s public sector cost-cutting programme.

Media round-up

Fri 22 May 2026

In our round-up of climate coverage in local media: Shane Jone is urging mining bosses to apply for fast-track before the election, climate risk is changing where investors put their money, and Hiringa gets more hydrogen-fuelled trucks on the road.

New Zealand's representative Shannon Tau speaking at the UN General Assembly in support of NZ's vote.

NZ votes in favour of key UN climate resolution

Thu 21 May 2026

By Liz Kivi | A pivotal United Nations resolution to recognise a landmark International Court of Justice climate ruling has passed with nations voting overwhelmingly in its favour, with New Zealand voting on the same side as Pacific allies who spearheaded the vote.

Six NZ climate solutions up for 2026 Earthshot prize

Thu 21 May 2026

By Shannon Morris-Williams | Six New Zealand climate and sustainability initiatives have been nominated for the 2026 Earthshot Prize, with the shortlist showcasing Kiwi-led solutions tackling emissions, plastic waste and ocean restoration.

‘Utterly elated’ – controversial Sams Creek gold mine application declined

Thu 21 May 2026

By Max Frethey, Local Democracy Reporter | Campaigners are elated after the controversial gold mining application for Sams Creek in Golden Bay was declined.

New solar farm to boost West Coast energy security

Thu 21 May 2026

Construction has begun on a new 13.5MW solar farm in Reefton, with developer Lightyears saying the project will help strengthen electricity security on the West Coast and support future regional growth.

New Zealanders losing ambition on climate change: Ipsos

Wed 20 May 2026

By Pattrick Smellie | New Zealanders’ belief that their government has a plan to combat climate change has taken another serious hit in the latest poll of 31 countries by global research firm Ipsos.

Christina Newport and Awnesh Singh outside United Nations headquarters in New York

Pacific voice on climate at the UN

Wed 20 May 2026

A New Zealand-based researcher has told a United Nations forum that rising sea levels are already reshaping life across the Pacific and climate change is causing irreversible impacts on water supplies, food security and cultural identity.

Carbon News

Subscriptions, Advertising & General

[email protected]

Editorial

[email protected]

We welcome comments, news tips and suggestions - please also use this address to submit all media releases for News Direct).

Useful Links
Home About Carbon News Contact us Advertising Subscribe Service Policies
New Zealand
Politics Energy Agriculture Carbon emissions Transport Forestry Business
International
Australia United States China Europe United Kingdom Canada Asia Pacific Antarctic/Arctic Africa South America United Nations
Home
Markets
Analysis NZ carbon price
News Direct
Media releases Climate calendar

© 2008-2026 Carbon News. All Rights Reserved. • Your IP Address: 216.73.217.6 • User account: Sign In

Please wait...
Audit log: